In 1950 the Nursery was started. The land on which the Nursery is located was leased from the Henning family. After Ed Henning passed away Vera Henning continued the life lease of $2,000 annually. This lease ended with the passing of Vera Henning in December of 1999 when the ownership was then transferred to the Newaygo Conservation District.
The Newaygo Conservation District Nursery provides bare-root seedlings in bulk to Conservation Districts throughout the State of Michigan and to residents for reforestation, afforestation, wildlife planning, and erosion control.
Over the past three years, over 1.5 million seedlings have been sold through the NCD Nursery. Established in 1950, Dan Shue is the Nursery Manager.
Nursery Hours: M-F 8am-4:30pm* *(The nursery office is closed from Mid-December to Mid-March, call the Conservation District office during that time)